Kailash in Mylapore – Kapaleeshwarar temple
Kalpaleeshwarar temple is a 7th century temple built during the Pallava’s period and it was destroyed by the Portuguese. The present temple in Mylapore was built by the Vijayanagar Kings in the 16th century. The temple has been built in the Dravidian architecture style and the temple’s Gopuram is 120ft high, built in 1906. The temple has two entrances on east and the west side of the Gopuram.
When Brahma met Lord Shiva in Mount Kailash, Brahma did not give enough respect to the Lord. The Lord became so angry and plucked one of the heads of Brahma. To make the Lord happy and get his blessings, Brahma placed a Lingam in Mylapore. From this incident of plucking up Brahma’s head (kapalam) and Lord Shiva (eeshwaran), the temple is named as Kapaleeshwarar temple. So, this place is considered equal to Kailash. The main god in the temple is Lord Kapaleeshwarar and Goddess Karpagambal.
The location where the temple is situated is named as Mylapore has an interesting fact behind its name. As Goddess Uma worshipped the Lord in the form of peahen, it is so called as Mylapore. It is the place where Lord Muruga got his spear and all four Vedas have came and worshipped here. Tiruvalluvar who wrote the famous and epic Tirukkural was born here.The temple is located near the sea coast and it is one of the most important temple in Chennai. Poojas are performed six times a day in the temple.
Timings: 6.00 am to 1.00 pm and 4.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Address: 12, North Mada Street, Mylapore, Chennai – 600004